Source: Karloz Monsalve/

When it comes to precious metals, a few might spring to mind, like silver, gold and platinum. However, many people don't know that various types of metal are within those categories. For example, when you think of gold, you might picture a yellowish hue, but there is also white gold. But is white gold real gold? Let's take a closer look.

What Is White Gold and How It Is Different From Regular Gold?

White gold has been alloyed with other metals, such as nickel or palladium, to create a white color. "White gold" is somewhat of a misnomer, as the metal is not truly white. Instead, it has a subtle yellowish tint that is often barely noticeable. White gold provides a bright contrast against the skin and is perfect for jewelry. White gold is less likely to tarnish than regular gold. Still, it requires regular maintenance and care to keep its lustrous appearance.

Browse White Gold Chains

How Is White Gold Made?

White gold contains gold plus metals such as silver and white-gray palladium. The recipe varies depending on the desired result, but white gold typically has around 75% gold. The remaining 25% is made up of the metals responsible for giving white gold its unique color and strength.

Benefits of White Gold Jewelry Over Regular Gold

While regular gold has a long-standing tradition in the world of jewelry, white gold is a relative newcomer. Nevertheless, it's become a popular choice for both men and women. One of the main benefits of white gold is its durability — it's quite resistant to scratching and bending compared to regular gold, making it an ideal choice for everyday jewelry.

Another advantage of white gold is its lower cost. Because it can be alloyed with less-expensive metals like nickel, white gold is typically more affordable than regular gold.

Finally, white gold has a bright, lustrous appearance that many people find more visually appealing than the traditional yellow shade of regular gold.

 stainless steel chain

Source: saeediex/

How Can You Tell if a Piece of Jewelry Is Made of White Gold?

There're a few ways to tell if a piece of jewelry is made of white gold. First, take a look at the metal. It is most likely made of gold if it has a yellowish hue. However, if the metal is more silver in color, then it may be white gold.

Another way to tell is to look for a stamp on the jewelry. If it says "18K" or "24K," then it is made of gold. Also, you can ask a reputable jeweler to test the metal for you. They will be able to tell you for sure what the piece is made of.

Factors to Consider When Choosing White Gold Jewelry

When choosing the perfect white gold jewelry, there are a few important factors to consider. Choosing a piece that complements your style is important. Men's gold-plated chains are a great option if you prefer a more understated look. For something a little bolder than white or yellow gold, rose gold chains make a statement.

Also, it is essential to consider the quality. Make sure to choose a piece made with high-quality materials that are made to last. Lastly, finding a piece that fits your budget is important. Fortunately, you can find many affordable options at Frost NYC — there's no need to overspend.

Shop Men's Gold-Plated Chains

 blue denim shirt and necklace

Source: 1jewelry/

Disadvantages of Wearing White Gold Jewelry

While rose gold and yellow gold have been popular choices for jewelry for centuries, white gold is a relative newcomer. And while it offers a unique look that can complement any outfit, there are some disadvantages to consider before investing in white gold jewelry, such as:

  • White gold is more prone to scratching than other types of gold, so it may not be the 'go-to' option for gold-plated chains or other pieces with a lot of wear and tear.
  • White gold is typically less expensive than other types of gold, so it may not hold its value well over time.
  • White gold can sometimes appear "gray" or "dull" next to skin tones on the warmer side.

Final Thoughts

If you're in the market for some new jewelry and want something that will make you stand out, why not consider a white gold chain? These chains are becoming increasingly popular as they provide a bright contrast against the skin and are less likely to tarnish than regular gold. So if you're looking for the best white gold jewelry, shop at Frost NYC today!

September 14, 2022

Leave a comment

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.